Plathanam Family History
THEPLATHANAM, ANIKUNNAM, POOLACKAL, OORAMVELIL, ELLAMPALLY, THALAKOD, POOLACIRACKAL, KARIMPARAMPIL, MANNAKUZHI ETC, ARE DIFFERENT BRANCHES OF THE SAME FAMILY. BUT MAJORITY OF THEM DO NOT KNOW EACH OTHER EVEN THOUGH THEY MIGHT STAY IN THE SAME CITY. There are historical evidences and traditions to prove that the ancestors of Plathanam family had moved to Ranny from Niranam around 1750AD. Before the forefathers moved to Ranny, they were members of Niraman Church founded by St Thomas himself around 52 AD. This is perhaps the oldest church of St. Thomas, now existing, that is known for the traditional values and monuments of the Syrian Christians in Kerala. Presently this church is under the Syrian Orthodox Church.
The places from where our ancestors had migrated from 52AD onward are mentioned below.
The Chera kings, who had ruled the West Coast of South India from Gokarnam to Cape comorin, had their Palace in Kodungalloor, near Chirai . It is believed that St Thomas converted one of the Chera kings ( named Andrew after baptism) and his family, on the miraculous saving of the life of a child (king's nephew ) , offered as child- sacrifice to Goddess, Kali, in Kodungallor Temple.
The practice of Narabali (human sacrifice) in the temple was stopped after that incident. The incident was followed by conversion of many Jews and people of other castes including Nambudiris. The Jews- Street and also an old Temple converted in to a Church still exist in Kodungalloor as one of the ancient historical relics left by the great, great grand parents as proof of their conversion. THE AUTHOR HAD VISITED THESE PLACES AND VERIFIED THE EXISTENCE OF SUCH PLACES EVEN TODAY). The child whose life was saved, was baptized, and named Peter or Kheppa. He was ordained later as a priest. It is traditionally believed, that Peter was the first priest ordained by St Thomas in Maliankara. He used to accompany St Thomas, in later years, to many places where he had preached the Gospel. It is also believed that Peter had attended the funeral of St Thomas at Calamina in the land of Mazda, which was part of Persia, known as Greater India at that time.
That happened after the conquest of North India by Alexander the Great around 325 BC. North India was annexed to Persia and together, the area was known as Greater India. South India was known to the rest of the world because of the flourishing trade through the Muziris Port. This area was called Konkanam/Cheram/Thamizhakam. Incidentally may I state that the burial place of St Thomas as known to the world, as India, is in Greater India, and not in Mylapore, Madras, as commonly believed today . The place is historically recorded by writers as Calamina in the land of Mazda in Persian Gulf where a St Thomas Dayara still exists. It seems, Mylapore-story was the creation of the Portuguese.
It is traditionally believed that our forefathers had their origin in Chiraikal Royal Family. In fact, the Syrian Christians are believed to be a mix of the converted Royal family, the Jews, the Nambudiris and the migrated Christians from the Persian Countries. They seem to have maintained their identity for a long time in the first few centuries and later amalgamated in to one patronized community known differently as, Issanuvadikal/ Nazranis/Malankara Christains/ Syrian
Christians etc. The city where they lived was called Maliankara/Mahodeyapuram. The second such city, in Cheranadu, was Kollam (Quilon). Those cities were destroyed during the Chera-Chola war of 100 years.
The Christains were also given the title of honour , MAPILA,under MAMPALLY SASANAM by the Chera king, Vllabhankotha, in the year 974, AD (Kollam era149). The title Mapila was to be suffixed to the names of all Nazrani-Christians from that time.
When the Arabs attacked the Kodungalloor City, most of the Christains moved to Udayamperoor, South of Ernakulam. From there they moved to Kuravilangadu around 500AD. They constructed the Kuravilangadu Church when they had moved to that place around 500AD
The Temple authorities in Kuravilangadu allowed their land to be utilized for construction of a church around 500AD, in keeping with the Royal Tradition of our forefathers. This church remained under the control of the Syrian Jacobites, till the Portuguese took over the Rule of the Syrian Churches by force for a period of 100 years from 1553- 1653 AD, i. e. till the oath of Coonan-Cross took place.
Afterwards, there was a split in the church between Puthencoor and Pazhayakoor for ownership of the Church Properties. With the Portuguese as Rulers behind the Pazhayakoor group, the Church was forcibly retained by the Pazhayakoor, under the Roman Pope. To escape the fury of the Portuguese and their supporters, after a big fight in the church, the Puthencoor group migrated Southward under Venadu Kings. Those who left the Church were mostly members of the same family or relatives.
Kottayam and surrounding areas of Kuravilangad even today remains as a strong hold of Nazrani Christians as a testimony of about 1500 years of growth. After Kottayam became a strong hold of Nazranis, particularly Puthencore Christains, the Official Head Quarter of Syrian Christians was shifted from Angamally to Kottayam.
1500-1750 AD: Members of Niranam Church.
This is the only church founded by St Thomas, that has an unbroken tradition from St Thomas time, compared to other six Churches founded by him in Kerala, that had undergone changes at different times. The 30 feet granite cross, the carvings on the foundation, various other granite pillars designed based on the Temple Architecture of olden times etc depict the splendor and antiquity of this church
The family links up to Kuravilangadu cannot be traced except by tradition. In Chenganacherry their family name was Polackal. The King who had ruled South -Kerala gave them the title THARAKAN. Members of this family had moved to various places like Champakulam, Pullad, Niranam, Mavelikara, Chengannor, Ranny etc. The family branches known today are: Polachirackal,(Mavelikara), Polackal, Ooramvelil, Illampallil, Karimparampil,Kalapurackal,( Mepral near Niranam) Thalakkod,( Chengannoor) Plathanam, Kanikunnam, (Ranny) Mannakuzhi (Ayroor) etc
1750 – 2003 AD : Members of Jacobite/ Orthodox Church
History in Ranny
Our forefathers who had moved to Ranny belonged to Polackal / Ooramvelil, in Edathua, near Niranam. We call these places as Niranam only.
1) Kurian, Ranny
There were three fore fathers who had moved from Niranam around 1750 AD (Surname-Iduculla). They were, Mr. Mathen, his brother Mr. Kurian, their brother’s son Mr. Varughese. Mr. Mathen had no children. Their brother’s son had settled down in Ayroor at Mannakuzhi. Their family name is Mannakuzhiyil. Mathen’s brother Kurian had settled down in Ranny with his brother. He had four male children. They were late M/S Chandy Plathanam, Mathen Kichireth, Varughese Lahayil and Kurian, Kanikunnathu.
2) Chandy, Plathanam
He became a Ruler in Ranny keeping with his Royal Tradition and was also a Praja Sabha representative in the court of the King of Travencore. He was well known for Kalari-Payatu ie to day known as the Martial Art of Kerala. He had also acquired the Veerapattu from the British Divan Col. Mundro (1810-1818AD) for his talents in shooting. He being the minister for the local Ruler (KARTHA), acquired a lot of wealth for the family, constructed the present Plathanam House in Vaikam, Ranny, now more than 200years old. He also constructed the first Syrian Jacobite Church in Ranny in 1872 AD on a 5 acre plot of land near his house in Vaikam, Ranny. This area of land even today (2003) is in his name. He even helped to construct the Ramapuram Temple at Ranny, near the present Pampa bridge, after the defeat of the Ruler of Arumula. This temple was constructed for the Ruler of Ranny under his supervision as a replica of Arumula Temple, after the defeat of the Ruler of Arumula, in a war fought under his leadership. He was strong and stout, and lived up to 120 years (Probable year of death 1880 AD). He was buried in the main hall (Ikala ) of the church, that he had constructed, as traditionally known to all family members. This Church today is in ruins. No attempt to reconstruct this church has been made, as the possession of the land is with some of the Plathanam family members, who had joined Marthomma Church . The traces of the old Church is still found in Vaikkam, Ranny. The five acre plot of land on which the Church was constructed, is now reduced to almost one acre due to land grabbing by neighboring houses. The Plathanam house,that he had constructed 200 years back, was also demolished in 2002AD.
Chandy Plathanam had four sons 1) M/S Iduculla, Maruthur 2) Mathen 3) Chandy, Mancherykuzhiyil 4) Geevarughese, Plathanam. I am mentioning only the branches of Geevarughese, Plathanam for the sake of brevity.
3) Mr. Geevarughese, Plathanam
He was married to late Mariyamma , daughter of late Mr. Easow Panikkar, Valiyaveetil, Kumbanad Her brothers in Kumbanad shifted to new houses now known as, Chempakasseril, Vazhaparampil, Puthenveettil,and Valiaveettil-original house). Their children were late M/S :1) Chandy Kulathunkal, Kuthattukulam,Ranny. 2)Easow, Alackal, (Puthenveetil) Karumpinakuzhi 3) Mathai, Plathanam 4) Iduculla, Sankaramangalam, Karumpinakuzhi. 4)MrGeevarughese (Kunjachan),Nallanikunnel, Karumpinakuzhi. 5) Mathen, Plathanam, Vaikkam, Ranny.
Those interested to know more details about the family details may refer to the family history published by the Kudumbayogam Chairman, Rev Fr Iduculla Chandy MA;BD;GST;Bed, Menayathil house,Ranny on 9-1-1993
4) MrEasow, Plathanam, Alackal, (Puthenveettil) , Ranny
Late Mr. Easow Plathanam was born in the year 1872 AD. He was very hard working and well versed in Vedic Mathematics. He acquired a lot of landed property for the Alackal family in Ranny. In 1890AD he married Mariamma, the daughter of late,Thomas Kizhakkethalackal, Puthenkavu, when he was 18 years old. She was 13 years at the time of marriage ( Born in 1877AD). She is the sister of late Rev Thomas Kathanar, father of His Grace late Mar Phelexenous of Puthencavu and grand father of His Grace Mar Thomas Athanasios, the present Metropolitan of the Diocese of Chengannor, under the Orthodox Church of Malankara ( Please Visit Favorites for details). She was a very God fearing and dedicated housewife well known for her ability and leadership; she died on 8-2-1965 when she was 88 years old and was buried by the side of her husband's grave in the Orthodox Church at Vadasserikara. (This parish was started by the Bethany Ashram, Perunad,in 1929 AD. and Rev Fr. Mathai, Kattoor, Karumpinakuzhi, was the first vicar of this Parish)
Late Mr Easow Plathanam,shifted from his ancestral home in Plathanam house in Vaikkam, Ranny, to Karumpinakuzhi, Ranny,in the year 1907 AD, when his third son late Mr. Easow Plamparampil was born. He had settled down in Karumpinakuzhi, in his Alackal House (Puthenveetil), on the location where the Smoke House of Thomashutty, Alackal, is now situated. He had about 100 acres of land in Karumpinakuzhi, part of which was sold out or gifted to his family members and the rest in possession of his children/ grand children as on date. He died in the year 1951 AD when he was 79 years old and was buried in his home Parish, Vadasserikara. The burial was by His Grace late Mar Phelexenous of Puthencavu,from his wife's house.
Late Mr Easow and Mariamma had 9 children, (7 male and 2 females) They were late M/s 1) Geevarughese (Unny) 2) P. T. Thomas (kutty) 3) P. E. Easow (Kunjunj) 4) Mathai 5) P. T Abraham (Avrachen) 6) Daniel 7) P. I. Chacko ;8) MrsMariamma (Thankamma) 9)MrsKunjamma.
Thankamma was married to Mr. K. M. Chacko (Manikutty),Kuttamkeril,Thottadi, Niranam. She died at a very early age and had no issues. Kunjamma was married to late Rev Fr Thomas, Nirannanilam, Ayroor. She had 4 male and two female children. The youngest one, Mr. Jose is no more and his children stays in the ancestral house in Ayroor. The rest of the male children- M/S Rajan, Babu, Rev Fr Sunny and one sister, Leela, stays in Wayanad near Bathery. The eldest daughter, Kauri is married to Mr. Varkey, a Senior Aircraft maintenance Engineer of the Indian Air Lines, now settled in Bombay
5. Mr. P. E. Easow (Kunjukunj), Alackal Puthenveettil
Late Mr. Easow, Alackal, was born in 1907 AD( on 29th Dhanu 1082 ME) and was married to late Annamma, the youngest daughter of late Mr. Kunchady, Thengumthottathil , Palanikkunnathil, Ayroor and had settled down in Plamparampil House in Karumpinakuzhi. He had three children the eldest one Kunjamma, the second one Mr. P. E. Easo ( Joy), and the youngest Mr. P. E. Thomas (Kunjukunjukutty).
Kunjamma was married to late Mr. Devassia, Muttathettu House, Paipadu, Thiruvella. She is a retired School teacher. Mr P. E. Thomas is a Bsc (Agri) graduate and a retired Senior Marketing Officer, now stays in Karumpinakuzhi, his home town. He is married to late Aleyamma from Manimuriyil House near Chenganacherry. She was a Graduate Teacher, in a High School, and passed away at a very early age. In the first marriage, they had one daughter, Bindu. She is also a Graduate High school teacher now settled in Mumbai. She is married to Mr Varughese, Kavil, Ranny. Mr P. E. Thomas has one son, Master Alex Thomas, born in the second marriage, now a student of primary classes.
Mr P. E. Easow,(Kunjunj) died in the year 1994 at the age of 87 and Annamma, his wife, at 82 years in 1990. They are buried in St Mary’s Syrian Orthodox Church in Karumpinakuzhi, Ranny
6) P. E. Easo (Joy), Alackal, Plamparampil
Mr. P. E. Easo (Joy) was born in 1935. He married Annie (Gracy) the third daughter of Mr. and Mrs. V. K.. Thomas, Vadakkedathu, Thumpamon on 1965. Gracy’s parents had settled down in Bombay since 1929.
Joy is a Graduate with distinction in Mathematics with SAS (Commercial) as his professional qualification. He was employed in the commercial Audit wing of the CAG of India from 1958 to 1982. He retired as a Senior Government Audit Officer from Air India when he emigrated to the United States in the same year. Gracy, his wife, is a Honors graduate in Chemistry and had her education and professional career in Bombay city till she left for the US on Green Card. They are now settled in Kerala, their home State, after a few years stay in the US.
Joy and Gracy had three children, two sons and a daughter.
PLATHANAM-KANIKUNNAM KUDUMBAYOGAM MEETINGS
The family members in Ranny and Ayroor have Kudumbayogam meetings conducted at regular
intervals, followed by Annual Meeting every year, the last such meeting was in January2003 at Varoor. There are different Branches (Sakas) meeting regularly for prayer and discussion. Some of the centres where the members meet are at VAIKKAM,VAROOR,KARUMPINAKUZHI,CHITTAR,SEETHATHODE,
ANGIMUZHI AND MANNAKUZHI respectively. The next annual meeting will be held on10th January 2004
at Karumpinakuzhi, Ranny, the home town of Alackal.
The office bearers of the Kudumbayogam
Secretary of Kudumbayogam: Mr Babu Varughese,Keechirethu,Perunad.
Treasurar: Mr Sunny,Pottankal, Vaikkam, Ranny,.
Jt Secretary : Mr Abraham Varughese, Keechirethu, Vaikkam, Ranny,
Connected Families of Mr Easow Known Today
Oramvelil, Polackal, Polachiraka, Illampally, Thalakod, Karimparampil,
Plathanam, Alackal, Mulampallil, Menayathil, Kulathunkal, Sankaramangalam, Nallanikunnel, Mancherikuzhyil, Kanikunnam, Kalayil, Kariyattu, Lahayil, Pottankal, Keechirethu, Mannakuzhiyil, etc (List will be updated later when feedback from other family members come in. )
Thengumthottathil, and Kurudamannil, Ayroor, Thazhamon, Cherukara, Ayroor( P E Easo’s Mother and Grand mother)
Vadakkedathu, Thumpamon; Shappil, Mavelikara ( PE. Easo’s Wife’s house)
Kizhakkethalackal, Puthenkavu, ( P. E. Easow’s, Grand mothers houses)
Valiaveetil, Vahzhaparampil, Chempakasseril,Puthenvettil, Kumbanad ( LateP. E Mr Easow, Alakal’s Mother’s house
The above list incorporates only three generations as on 2002AD. This will be updated later based on information received from other members of the family